Founder and Principle: James G. Shanahan Ph.D.
Briefly, his appointments include:
Independent Consulting, San Francisco, 8/2007 to present:
- Helping clients leverage Web (text/transactional) data to build models/systems using statistical machine learning
- Architecting and engineering scalable and reliable systems requiring specialized knowledge of information retrieval (Web search), machine learning, data-mining, text-mining, recommender systems, and web metrics
- Customers include SearchMe.com, SkyGrid.com, Locutus Recycling, Silicon Prairie Partners
- Languages include Perl, Java, R/S-Plus, SQL, OLAP
- Expert Witness
- Chief Scientist, Turn Inc., June 2005-August 2007;
- Series C venture funded startup ($26 Million).
- Member of executive team; Technical and scientific leader, focusing on the development and deployment of an online ad targeting system (CPA-based) in a principled and measured way that leverages advanced statistical and machine learning techniques
- Principal Research Scientist, Clairvoyance Corp, Pittsburgh, 4 years
- Research Scientist, Xerox Research Centre Europe, France, 2.5 years
- Visiting Research Fellow, University of Bristol, U.K, 3.5 years
- Senior Researcher, Japanese Fuzzy Engineering Research Lab, LIFE, Japan, 1.5 years
- A.I. Software Engineer, Mitsubishi, Tokyo, Japan, 4 years
His technical achievements include:
- Over twenty years experience in the fields of machine learning and information access in startup, corporate and academic settings
- Published five books, and forty three refereed papers in machine learning and information systems
- Fourteen US patent filings (nine granted so far)
- General Chair ACM CIKM 2008; Organization of numerous workshops and conferences in intelligent information systems
- Teaching machine learning and information retrieval theory at university level (e.g., Rutgers University, Syracuse University, University of California Santa Cruz) and at international conferences (e.g., ACM CIKM, WWW, SIGIR).
james.shanahan _at_ gmail.com